Forums » General Art Discussions

McMichael Art Gallery Plein Air Paint Out

• 284 posts
    August 28, 2012 7:31 PM EDT

For those of you who couldn't make it, the rest of us had a fantastic day. The weather was near perfect and the Gallery grounds are a painter's treasure. I'm already in discussion with the McMichael administration to do another OPAS paint out there next year.

We had 25 members come out, plus 12 non-members, of whom five joined on the spot.

The McMichael was very cooperative. They let all painters onto the grounds and into the gallery for free, and for those who signed up ahead of time, they gave them free parking as well. Plus, the McMichael donated all of the prizes. (I can't tell you what the prizes were as I didn't win any. :-(

Here are a few shots from the day. Hopefully, other participants will add to this post with photos and statements of their own. This is a view of Tom Thompson's shack. I tried painting it, however, I haven't photographed my effort yet. When I do, I'll post it.

Most of the artists entered the work they did during the day into a friendly competition. Judges were McMichael Assistant Curators Anna Stanisz and Chris Finn and Senior Educator Nadia Panacci. First prize was awarded to Leslie Miles from Guelph, for her soft pastel drawing entitled "Understory".

Second prize went to Laura Coutts, also from Guelph for her acrylic painting entitled "McMichael Trail".

Both Laura and Leslie joined OPAS at the event and will soon be full members.

Third prize went to Dalibor Dejanovic (Chair of the GTA Chapter of OPAS)  from Toronto for his pastel drawing "Reflections".

The People's Choice prize was awarded to Teodorico Asuncion from Mississauga for a pastel drawing: "McMichael Gallery" (Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot of Teodorico and his painting to post here. Perhaps he will post something, as Teodorico is a new member as of this month.

I invite other participants to add their photos and comments to this post.

Keith Thirgood
    President, OPAS

www.wilsonstreetstudio.ca

• 51 posts
    August 28, 2012 7:58 PM EDT

It certainly was an amazing day Keith.  Debbie and I both had a fantastic time and we look forward to doing it again next year.  We would like to thank you, OPAS members and the gallery for making this happen.  Bravo!

I have to add that it is my fault that Dalibor is struggling to keep a straight face.  I am sorry if I uspset this photo opp.

• August 28, 2012 9:14 PM EDT

Congratulations Dalibor!

• August 28, 2012 10:04 PM EDT

It was a great day as Keith said, sunny, lots of artists and a great place to paint in!

John is right, he was cracking me up, next time it will be my turn to do the same to him ;)

Thanks Jennifer! I love the painting you did that day, well done!

• August 28, 2012 10:08 PM EDT

Thanks for a great day, Keith.