Forums » Technical Challenges

Grab Bag Challenge

• 288 posts
    December 10, 2012 5:54 PM EST

Our next challenge for over the holidays and into January is a "grab Bag" challenge, suggested by our Treasurer, John Mullenger.

This is a simple challenge. Throw all of your tubes of paint into a bag or box, mixing them up. Close your eyes, reach in and grab three tubes of paint. These are the only paints you can use for this challenge. (As before, you can also include white.)

I know it's a bit messy for pastel artists to toss all your colours into a bag. Perhaps you can lay a colour chart on the floor and from a few feet away toss three pennies onto the chart and use whichever colours they land on as your choice.

You subject can be whatever you wish, as long as it's plein air, which includes painting out your back window or from the warmth of your car.

I haven't an example to show you, as I've never done this before.

One additional "rule". Once you randomly pick your colours, post a comment on this page saying which colours you've chosen.

It will be interesting to see how lucky or otherwise we are with our random draws, and even more interesting to see what we can create with such a random palette.

Cheers,

Keith

• December 11, 2012 9:46 AM EST

Keith, thanks! This sounds like a fun challenge, especially because I can't pick "a yellow, a red a blue". It will be fun to see what I pull out. It's a busy time of year to fit it in, but I will try a small image.

• 288 posts
    December 18, 2012 6:08 PM EST

Hi Deb,

Great results from such a palette.

I've grabbed my colours a half hour ago and have been painting away with them Chromium Oxide Green, Phthalo Green (Blue Shade) and Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold. Two greens a a completely transparent gold/brown. This is proving to be quite a challenge.

Keith

• 288 posts
    December 19, 2012 12:49 PM EST

Hi Martha,

Happy Ice Fog is a good result from such an unhelpful set of colours. :-)

Here's what I managed to do using Chromium Oxide Green, Phthalo Green (Blue Shade) and Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold. I was working in acrylic on a 6x6 birch plywood panel.

This is my backyard from our breakfast area as the sun was setting.

I think I'm going to grab a new set of colours and try this challenge again.

Keith

• 288 posts
    December 19, 2012 10:13 PM EST

Hi Deb,

Remember, for this challenge you draw three colours, not just two.

Deborah Grisé said:

Well I just drew phthalo green and cad red light from my bag! This should be interesting!

• 288 posts
    December 20, 2012 1:11 AM EST

I'm going to give this another try. This time I drew Yellow Orange Azo, Cadmium Red Light and Permanent Alizarin Crimson. Two reds and a yellow, this should be interesting.

Keith