Forums » Technical Challenges

12 x 12 for 12 + 1 : Square Format Challenge

• 26 posts
    January 1, 2013 2:19 PM EST

Hello

In 2010 I entered the 12 x 12 show at AWOL gallery.  Although I didn't sell any of my works, it was a lot of fun.  Herre are the rules:

1.  all entries must be 12 inches by 12 inches, frame included.

2.  5$ per piece entered (maybe this has gone up); maximum of three submissions

3.  all entries for sale at $225; AWOL takes a 50% commission

4.  calls for entry will be in late June/early July for a show in late August

5.  no jury; except for the entry fee there is no barrier to being part of the show.

The economics obviously favour 12 by 12 stretched canvases with no frame, which you can get at Curry's for $3 per canvas.  The baeuty of this show is that you can go back a few days after the opening and see what people are buying, when you factor out price and size.  As I recall, all encaustics sold, many oils/acrylics, photographs, no watercolours, collages or prints. I don't recall a lot of plein air stuff but this year let's make a statement on behalf of OPAS!

So you start with the frame and work backwards.  In preparation for this I "practiced", using the nocturne and grab bag challenges Keith has posted.  It's quite a different composition process to work to a square format! 

• 288 posts
    January 5, 2013 12:32 AM EST

Hi Ted,

Great idea for a challenge, albeit a long challenge.Let's see how many 12x12 paintings OPAS members can get into the AWOL show. AWOL has not announced yet the rules for submission to the square foot event. As soon as they do, we'll update this page and set it up as a formal challenge.

You mentioned that the paintings you've posted above are all nocturnes and grab-bag challenges. They all look like nocturnes. Which ones were grab bag and what colours were you using?

Keith

• 26 posts
    January 5, 2013 5:54 AM EST

Keith

painting 1: Not a nocturne or grab bag.  This was in response to the "How to stay warm" discussion.  I copied Zan's example of painting at the steering wheel (he was doing a lovely oil/acrylic in the Scottsale farm paintout).  To minimize the amount of paint on the upholstery, I am sticking to one brush, three colours (3 primaries + white) and getting my darks from a sharpie poster paint pen.  (you can see the remnants of the initial drawing in black).  All these are in acrylic.

painting 2: nocturne at about 7 am.  primaries plus dioxine purple.  We get a lot of nocturne at this time of year.

painting 3: grab bag with extensive cheating.  The "grabbed colours" were cerulean blue, ultramarine blue, cad yellow.  I used a toned yellow canvas with a bit of a bronze coating.  And of course, my faithful sharpie was very helpful to do all those wrought iron bits.  In real life the building is Toronto yellow brick.  This one is true plein air style where you get out of your car.