Forums » Technical Challenges

Complementary Technical Challenge

• 286 posts
    December 13, 2013 12:25 PM EST

This is the first of our proposed challenges.

The challenge this time is to do a plein air painting using only two complementary colours, plus white.

You can do it on any subject as long as it's plein air. If you sit in your back porch with the door open and paint your back yard, it's plein air. If you sit in the cab of your car and paint, it's plein air. If you look out your window, it's okay. As long as it's not painted from a photo. So if you don't like painting in the cold, there are still options.

As an example, here's a painting I did the other winter using only Quinacridone Magenta and Phthalo Green.

It's not brilliant, but you get the idea.

When you've finished a painting, post it as a comment to this discussion. 

It's kind of fun seeing how much you can do with such a completely limited palette. 

Don't hesitate to comment on each other's efforts, give hints and generally join in on this event.

Cheers,

Keith

• 286 posts
    December 18, 2013 7:32 PM EST

Hi Brenda,

There's no particular deadline for the challenges. It usually takes 3 - 4 weeks for people to get around to submitting something. I'm busy preparing for our Solstice party and haven't had a moment to try it myself. Hopefully next week I'll get a chance to try out my own challenge.

Keith

• 286 posts
    January 11, 2014 11:04 PM EST

Hi Brenda,

In order for a photo to show up in the body of your post, click on the "Image" icon.

Keith

• 286 posts
    February 16, 2014 7:31 PM EST

Very nice.

Get snowmobile boots. Wear regular warm boots that you can hike in and carry the snowmobile boots. Change into the snowmobile boots when you stop to paint. They're useless to hike in but great for standing around in the cold.

Try woolen socks over your bare hands. Poke two small holes in the socks to thread the paintbrush through. This way you handle the brush in your bare hand and the woolen sock acts as insulation better than mittens.

Bring a 3 foot by 3 foot square of carpet and stand or sit on it, to isolate you from the cold ground.

Keith

• 286 posts
    February 16, 2014 7:49 PM EST

Get the chemical hand warmers and put one in each boot.

• 51 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:47 AM EST
    Canadian Tire has boot warmers that are just like the hand warmers but insole shaped. Also cold feet can mean your core temperature is dropping. If you torso gets cold you body slows circulation to you hands and feet even more. On very cold days I carry a thermos of hot coffee with me and only pour a little at a time into my mug so it doesn't get cold.
    • 286 posts
    February 18, 2014 12:15 PM EST

Brenda,

Sounds like Raynaud's Syndrome. Quite common, especially amongst women.