Forums » Member Events

Art In The Open, Elora Ontario, August 02 2014

• May 13, 2014 4:01 PM EDT

Elora’s plein air (“in the open air”) art event. Watch as artists execute paintings and drawings representing a direct response to the scene or subject directly in front of them. This event takes place from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm along the sidewalks in the Merchant District of Elora. A silent auction follows from 3:00-4:00 pm of all the completed works. While here, listen to music in the Elora Greenspace at the corner of Mill & Metcalfe Streets. This is the Civic Holiday weekend, so why not bring out family and friends and plan your time in the village and take in all the sights. Art In The Open is a fundraiser for the Elora Green-space.

hhttp://elora.info/events/art-in-the-open/

• June 5, 2014 7:19 AM EDT

Yes, this is the one. I'm not sure if you've been to Elora before, but its a very photogenic little town. I can't make any promises, but to say, that sales were quite good last year. 

• June 10, 2014 2:48 PM EDT

Rick , I tend to avoid " silent auctions" because buyers expect to get paintings for a song. Does this event do anything to discourage that trend?

• June 10, 2014 10:25 PM EDT

It did use a silent auction method. you'd set your starting price of course, but I do understand your reference to people looking for "a deal". On the other hand you don't have to submit your piece to the auction if you don't like, its not a requirement. Also, pieces don't need to be framed.

Its a low key event with live music, in a beautiful setting. significant community support and enthusiasm. Last year we had a blast and more the merrier ;)

Jennifer Smithwell said:

Rick , I tend to avoid " silent auctions" because buyers expect to get paintings for a song. Does this event do anything to discourage that trend?

• 1 posts
    July 29, 2014 12:20 PM EDT

Rick, are all opas artists invited to paint at this event or is it restricted to Elora artists?

Costs?  fees?

Monica Burnside says the start time was 0900 and finished at 11?

Many thanks,

Margot French

• July 29, 2014 3:21 PM EDT

The event is open to everyone. More the merrier. Its $20 to participate and a small portion of any sales goes towards repaying the park restoration fund. I can't promise anything but around 80 percent of the paintings sold last year :) 

cheers,

Rick

Margot French said:

Rick, are all opas artists invited to paint at this event or is it restricted to Elora artists?

Costs?  fees?

Many thanks,

Margot French

• July 29, 2014 3:27 PM EDT

The official start is 10 am but there will be volunteers to stamp your work by 9am or perhaps even earlier. Officially everyone must be done by 3pm. The silent auction is held from 3-4.

There will be live music, water, volunteers to spot you for breaks if needed. Everyone is encouraged to paint in the downtown region. It will be a busy weekend downtown as the music festival is still going and also Sensational Elora festival has some kind of event in the park. Truly a fantastic turn out last year.

http://www.artito.ca

Margot French said:

Costs?  fees?

Many thanks,

Margot French

• August 1, 2014 4:38 PM EDT

Thanks Brenda. We'll see you at the next one!

• 1 posts
    August 7, 2014 4:23 PM EDT

Hi Rick - how didi it go?

• 26 posts
    August 8, 2014 5:53 AM EDT

I can report that this was a wonderful painting day.  Elora is one of the most paintable small towns in Ontario - distinctive and yet fresh.  The townsfolk are friendly and welcoming.  Rick, Lisa and Jo Lomond of Strata Galleries did a ton of work to make the day pleasant.  You are supporting a worthy cause, a signature downtown parkette.  Finally this is an August weekend with shopping-minded day trippers who are looking for a souvenir (unlike the street fair crowd, which  is more child and fast food oriented).  I did a diptych, which sold for the reserve price, a first for me.

• 26 posts
    August 8, 2014 6:36 AM EDT

Sorry the owner of the Strata Gallery is Jo Lomas not Jo Lomond.  Also  George's Framing of Fergus generously contributed framing certificates as prizes, so the monetary awards are extremely comparable to OPAS events.  I hope more of you go next year, it would be good to see other OPASians' visions of this great painting site.

• August 8, 2014 8:29 AM EDT

Unfortunately it was under attended by artist, only 9 of us, but the day was beautiful. Excellent musical groups as usual and a good crowd all around. My impression was that most works sold.

Roderik Mayne said:

Hi Rick - how didi it go?