Forums » General Art Discussions

Potential Technical Workshops

• 294 posts
    August 25, 2014 3:18 PM EDT

I am thinking of bringing two very good plein air artists to Toronto to do two separate workshops on their techniques.

The first would be Phil Chadwick. Phil has a way of handling oil that produces simply lovely work. Not fuzzy or fussy. Crisp and engaging, like Tom Thomson at his best.

The workshop with Phil would be September 28, 2014.

The workshop would not be on the usual things. Not on values, shapes, color theory, etc. It would be on how he makes the choices he does , how he uses brushes and how he works with the paint. His innermost technique secrets.

I'll post some more of his paintings later for you to see.

Or you can visit his site. http://chadwick.homestead.com/Studio.htm

The other artist I will be bringing in is Rob Zeer. Rob has a unique style. It's bold and captures the essence of the Canadian north most wonderfully. Rob lives in Munich, but comes back to Canada a couple of times a year. Here are a couple of samples of Rob's work:

Rob's workshop would likely be in late April or early May 2015. He would also be concentrating on his approach and technique.

You can see more of Rob's work at: https://www.facebook.com/zeer.art/photos_stream

I will be holding these in either Markham or Toronto. What I'd like to know is if any OPAS members are interested in these two very special plein air artists.

Add a comment here, or contact me directly at my e-mail.

Cheers

Keith

• August 25, 2014 8:57 PM EDT

Yes Keith, very good. I will join you if the dates are suitable. 

• 3 posts
    August 26, 2014 7:13 AM EDT

I would be interested, if the dates work out.

• 294 posts
    August 26, 2014 8:25 AM EDT

I just got confirmation from Phil that Sunday, September 28 works for him. Hopefully, this will work for enough artists.

If you're interested, please make a comment here. That way, if I make any changes, or anyone else makes a comment, you will automatically be informed.

• 294 posts
    August 27, 2014 11:21 PM EDT

I have a choice of two locations in which to hold the workshop with Phil Chadwick.

1. At the Framing Dames Gallery at 362 Old Kingston Rd, Scarborough. This is near transit although parking is a little iffy.

2. Markham Village Train Station, 214 Main Street Markham N, Markham. This has free parking and is on the TTC. 

If you're interested in taking this workshop, tell me which location you would rather have it held at. The majority will rule. (Please tell me asap, as I have to rent the room quite soon.)

• 9 posts
    August 28, 2014 9:05 AM EDT

Either location works for me.

• 3 posts
    August 28, 2014 8:18 PM EDT

I would prefer Markham Village Train Station, with free parking.

Keith Thirgood said:

I have a choice of two locations in which to hold the workshop with Phil Chadwick.

1. At the Framing Dames Gallery at 362 Old Kingston Rd, Scarborough. This is near transit although parking is a little iffy.

2. Markham Village Train Station, 214 Main Street Markham N, Markham. This has free parking and is on the TTC. 

If you're interested in taking this workshop, tell me which location you would rather have it held at. The majority will rule. (Please tell me asap, as I have to rent the room quite soon.)

• August 31, 2014 3:26 PM EDT

Keith, I dont think I can make that workshop but just so you know I have never had a hard time finding free parking at framing dames. There is parking in front, at the side and accross the street and all free. 

Keith Thirgood said:

I just got confirmation from Phil that Sunday, September 28 works for him. Hopefully, this will work for enough artists.

If you're interested, please make a comment here. That way, if I make any changes, or anyone else makes a comment, you will automatically be informed.

• 294 posts
    September 1, 2014 12:25 AM EDT

I must simply have bad luck. I have had to circle the block four-five times almost every time I've gone to the Framing Dames. Timing is everything. :)

• September 1, 2014 12:00 PM EDT

You might not see the ones on the side street. There is free parking on both sides of the side street. I prefer to park there than right in front as there is no traffic and easier to get in and out of your spot. 

• 294 posts
    September 8, 2014 10:20 AM EDT

You can now sign up to the Phil Chadwick event. It will likely be held in the Markham Village Train Station. Just waiting for confirmation on the venue.

Go to http://ontariopleinairsociety.ning.com/forum/topics/master-class-with-phil-chadwick to read more, or go directly to my website to sign up. 

http://www.wilsonstreetstudios.com/workshops-and-classes.html

Maximum number of students 10.