Forums » General Art Discussions

marketing and advertising

• December 12, 2014 1:16 PM EST

I was going to just send this to the executive but could find any way to do that. 

However my question is , if prior to next years show we could  just have a meeting about marketing advertising opas and the annual show. either with the executive or with anyone interested in being on an advertising committee. Please let me know what people think. 

I have just received a lot of advice on things that would improve the attention given to the show but certainly could not act on these without cooperation from other members. 

• 292 posts
    December 13, 2014 12:59 AM EST

A show committee would certainly be a helpful thing. I did the show pretty much on my own this year. Also a promotions committee would be another bonus. At the moment, most of the promotion for OPAS comes from the two Facebook pages and the OPAS website, plus the brochures I designed a few years ago and that the executive gives out to whomever they can. 

I get them into my local Curry's and have them at all the art shows I'm in. However, I'm sure there are lots of people with ideas. And hopefully a few people who can convert ideas into actions.

What is needed is someone to lead these committees. There is room on the Board for both a Promotions Chair and an Annual Show Chair. Planning for next year's show begins now, as we need to book the venue far far in advance in order to get the dates we want.

BTW, you can click on the About OPAS menu item and then click on the link to the Board list. Simply look up the Board member you want to talk to, go to their page on the site and message them directly. There is no way to reach the Board as a whole.

• December 13, 2014 11:02 AM EST

I know you are doing too much. I am running both facebook pages. but we really need press releases and contact with toronto tourism board and online advertising.

donations for prizes from businesses.

and some small posters for art shows or hotels near the show. 

a separate webpage angled to buyers and collecters, with updates on shows and events where they can buy. 

However I did do advertising and promotions for another group and know it is too much for one person to do on their own.

I think Zan has some experience with marketing so he would be good for the committee. 

Edward did the event page on facebook but after I urged them repeatedly to do so only about 4 or 5 of the members in the show used the event page to invite people. Not sure why the other 24 didnt participate. Maybe we need to make some participation in advertising a requirement for the annual show. A lot of it is done online so distance from the show wouldnt be a problem for participation. 

The show was really good but we need to attract attention of buyers, collecters, etc. and make people really look forward to our shows. 

Maybe an larger open participation paintout with more prizes and more advertising once a year would also bring in out of province people and raise our profile.