Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

Kerdi Board "Canvas"

• 2 posts
    March 13, 2018 2:10 PM EDT

Has anyone tried to Kerdi Board as a painting support?  Did it hold the Gesso well?

It's so light weight and water-resistant... I might give it a try in the spring.

This post was edited by Thomas Faires at March 13, 2018 2:10 PM EDT
    • 11 posts
    March 23, 2018 9:37 AM EDT

No I have never used them infact I had to google them to see them!

I use the gesso boards from the art stores or canvas, actually I really prefer the feel of a canvas.

That is when I paint in oil, but of course with pastels I love using the sanded paper. Just bought a new packet for future paint outs.!

Sheila

• 288 posts
    March 25, 2018 2:30 PM EDT

Hi Tom,

If Kerdi board is giving you a problem (I saw elsewhere it has absorbed three coats of gesso when you tried to seal it), then use primer/sealer instead. I never use gesso to seal boards. A 40-year veteran painter from the West Coast (Mike Svob) showed me years ago what a rip off gesso really is. (Basically, it's chalk suspended in acrylic medium with Titanium White for colour.)

I did a test canvas sealing in a few different stains with gesso and primer/sealer on different parts of the surface. I found that contaminants happily bleed through gesso. Gesso does not seal your painting from contamination. Mike recommended using a good primer-sealer from a hardware store. These are designed to seal in contamination (smoke stains, blood, etc) and providing a paintable surface while keeping contamination from ruining a paint job. He had been using primer/sealers for over 20 years.
    I tried a number of primer/sealers. The one that works best for me is Kilz Max. You can find it at Home Depot and other hardware stores. Two coats of that and nothing is getting through. It also seals up porous surfaces with a couple of coats. Give it a try and you might find your solution.